[wtp-dev] I20050429 Experience

I did some sanity checking of the latest build as of 5pm. I hit a large number of mostly minor problems.

1. The new Flexible Project UI is very different and requires some training. I'm not sure it's more difficult, just different. This makes virtually all of our tutorials in need of revision.
2. I created a Web module on Tomcat 5.0 and an index.html page. When I ran this on the server, the external Web Browser was launched.
3. I created a Java class and created a Web service from it. It initially failed to deploy to Axis 1.0. I switched from RPC/Encoded to Doc/Literal and retried, this time successfully - maybe a server synch problem?
4. The Web Service wizard got stuck on the "Web Service Publication" page. Clicking Next just relaunched the JSP client. I had to click Finish to escape.

So in summary, this was a rocky experience. I would only give this candidate a pass if we followed it quickly it with some good docs, e.g. updated tutorials, and listed known problems and workarounds.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411