Re: [wtp-dev] Runtime Types API

Hi Alex,

You are correct - although we will soon have multiple modules per project in WTP, the runtime targetting is per project. The main reason for this is that the kind of thing that targetting a runtime implies (setting the classpath, validation, resolving DTDs, etc) tend to all be based around the project and cannot be applied to anything smaller. For instance, JDT doesn't allow you to create two folders within a project and have them compile against different sets of libraries.

In the past, we had also tried creating different runtime target classpaths or other behaviour based on the type of module - Web modules might have one classpath, and EJB modules a different one when both were targetted to the same runtime. However, we found this to be confusing to the user, ugly to code, and have minimal use. So the runtime target tends to be the complete (superset) target for all supported module types.

So, the plan is that we will stick to one runtime per project. This will mean we have the limitation that if you put multiple modules per project they will have the same runtime target. In most scenarios this should not be an issue because the modules are most likely going to run on the same server. Please let me know if you have any major concerns or further questions.

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)
deboer@xxxxxxxxxx

Alexander Smirnoff <alexsmr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/20/2004 03:31 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Runtime Types API

I need some clarifications on server API.

As far as I understand, I can have only one (server) Runtime per
project. How would I handle situation when some projects/modules require
different types of  libraries to compile. For example one project can
have (optionally) xmlbeans libraries, and/or beehive and struts (also
optionally) runtime. At the end it must to run under different types of
Servers, using their runtime. Do you have the flexibility to make this
separation (within the same project) or it will be always one runtime
having all in one?

Thanks,
Alex.