[viatra-dev] VIATRA Maven build update

Hi all,

today I have managed to set up Maven toolchains [1] for VIATRA. This means, we can now target Java 7 even if Maven was executed in Java 8. This is required for the use of up-to-date Tycho versions (0.25.0 or newer) or for current SonarQube scanners; and also allows us to have some projects that depend on Java 8, but other on Java 7.

However, enabling this feature requires all users who tries to compile VIATRA with Maven to define a custom toolchain.xml with references to the Java installations on the computer. Such toolchain.xml was already set up on hudson.eclipse.org/viatra, and I have provided a similar configuration for others [2]. To use it, update the file with the corresponding JDK locations, and copy it to the root of the local maven folder (by default $HOME/.m2/toolchains.xml).

Important! In order to target Java 1.7, you still have to have Java 1.7 installed on the machine you do the building; but you are not required to execute Maven using the same Java version.

If anyone notices any issues with these settings, feel free to report it, and we will try to fix it as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Zoli

 [1] https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-using-toolchains.html
 [2] https://gist.github.com/ujhelyiz/002fabac702575cf33ab468656cfee09