RE: [ve-dev] Re: Future of VE

Hi,

But be aware of real exposure with this. It works fine for a controlled project where the code being developed is under strict controls, but if the code being developed has anything strange in it, it could crash or lock up the Eclipse IDE. It could even call System.exit(), and that would work and Eclipse would not get a chance to do any cleanup or save of state.

Thanks,
Rich

Joe Winchester <WINCHEST@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ve-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/17/2007 05:47 AM

Please respond to
Discussions people developing code for the Visual Editor project        <ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx, Discussions people developing code for the Visual Editor project <ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [ve-dev] Re: Future of VE

Hi Philippe,

>I am sure there have been excellent historical reasons, but in practice
>it makes VE really resource hungry and very hard to use. Revisiting that
>with a new eye, with the newer and stabler VM is worth it.

The implementation of the target VM code is such that it is possible to have VE talk to JavaBeans that are instantiated inside the Eclipse VM, rather than having to use a separate VM.  This isn't used by the Swing/SWT VE implementation, however it is used by some guys who did a bunch of work with having the VE working with mobile MIDP stuff where they had the beans inside Eclipse itself.

One idea we kicked around for ages but never finished off, was that the VE would allow the option to run directly against the IDE's VM, perhaps via a preference where if the Java project's classpath matched that of the IDE itself then this was the default option.  Once we get a 3.3 codebase working maybe we should revisit this as an option - if nothing else it means that user's first impression of VE will be faster, and then as that user becomes more complex in terms of having separate targets and IDEs, they have the option of breaking the two apart but understand the implications.

Best regards,

Joe

Unless stated otherwise above: