RE: [ve-dev] Classpath of target VM

Hi Daren,

----
The only other thing I would say is that I think it would be nice to be able to kick the proxy launchers off in debug mode so that
they appear in the debug perspective. I think this would be much easier to use than having to create another workspace with the same code,
and attaching remote debuggers. I don't know how difficult that would be to achieve, but at first glance, as it seems to be kicked off via
the same mechanism as other launchers, I would guess that it wasn't too difficult to make this possible. Do you have any thoughts on this?
-----

I had looked into this but the problem is that you can't have the IDE that is running the VE also debug the remote VM that the VE is talking to. You will get into deadlocks. That is because we are accessing the remote vm from the UI thread at times. And if the UI thread is locked waiting on a reply from the remote vm, and at the same time you hit a breakpoint in the remote vm the debugger can't come up. Also most of the time you need to not just debug the remote vm but you need to also debug what is happening in the IDE. They usually go together intimately and affect each other. You can't have the debugger jvm debug itself.

Thanks,
Rich

Back to the top