[ve-dev] extending visual editor

Hi there:

We've been working on an interface builder for Java for some time now over at
http://developer.knownspace.org/fluency.  This semester we decided to strike
the old codebase and convert/refactor it into an Eclipse RCP project.  Towards
this end, it'd be great to be able to leverage _just_ the widget
layout/graphical editing component of VE - we don't need the code
generation/round tripping stuff due to the design of Fluency.  In short, we
want to add our own custom behavior behind the scenes when a widget is placed
on the graphical editor.  We still need to maintain a persistent notion of
widget properties and layout, of course, but these get persisted as properties
of the layout graph (or linkage graph in Fluency terms).

I poked around the help files and these mailing list archives but was unable
to find anything with my punee eyes.  The help files appear to be only
concerned with the extension of the widget palette that VE uses so that you
can add your own custom widgets.

So the enormously vague question that I have is.. What is the 'best' way to
extricate the graphical editing and widget palette code from the rest of the
codebase?  I've checked out the code from CVS and have been poking around the
org.eclipse.ve.java.core project,
org.eclipse.ve.internal.java.codegen.editorpart.JavaVisualEditorPart looks
like it should be my starting point but I haven't delved too deeply into it
yet. At this stage in my investigation it seems like it'd be easiest to just
rip out relevant code (with license/copyright of course) and modify it within
the context of our app (the 'internal' part of the package name sounds out the
big klaxon alarms in my head.. ;).  In any case, any pointers to places to
look or tips on what classes I should focus on would be tremendously helpful.

Thanks for your time!
Allen Lee