Re: [udig-dev] JCommon 1.0.16 Questions from IP review

So we got a bit more information: "The original files in question were authored by a person who cannot be traced
and we have some indication [1] determining applicable license may not be
possible."
[1] http://preciseinfo.org/Convert/Articles_Java/Package_Experts/Java-Package-Experts-080805094824.html

Reading that link (which appears to be scraped from a mailing list in order to show ads) shows a search for Nobuo Tamemasa not being successful.

A bit more research makes it look like Nobuo placed code examples on www.codeguru.com

https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/yanproject/Jars/jcommon-0.5.6/source/com/jrefinery/ui/BevelArrowIcon.java

 * This class (and also SortButtonRenderer) is based on original code by Nobuo Tamemasa (version
 * 1.0, 26-Feb-1999) posted on www.codeguru.com.

Feedback from the internet indicates the code is "open source" but does not really have a license and thus is open only in the sense you can read it, not in the sense you can add it to your own software.

http://www.jfree.org/jcommon/api/src-html/org/jfree/ui/SortButtonRenderer.html
https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/yanproject/Jars/jcommon-0.5.6/source/com/jrefinery/ui/BevelArrowIcon.java

The best example is from a site that gathered up Nobuo's examples since they have become "hard to find" on the internet.

http://alvinalexander.com/java/swing/tame/
- http://alvinalexander.com/java/swing/tame/table/SortButtonRenderer.java.shtml

I am going to feed this bit of research back to the CQ ticket. But I am not really sure if I am helping or hindering, I would prefer to talk to the JCommon team and see if they have a bead on this stuff.

Jody

www.codeguru.com

Jody Garnett