Re: [udig-devel] How to...

Ludwig, welcome to uDIG!

I guess you should start following the tutorials coming along with udig-sdk. Have a look at the SDK Quickstart-Guide at http://udig.github.io/docs/dev/SDKQuickstart/SDKQuickstart.html

To add a (temp) layer you can easily define a FeatureType a create a Resource with the Catalog and add this resource to the map:
https://github.com/uDig/udig-platform/blob/master/plugins/net.refractions.udig.tutorials.examples/src/net/refractions/udig/tutorials/examples/CreateTemporaryLayer.java

Note : if exiting uDIG the user have to decide whether and if where to store the temporary datastore. If you don't need to store this datasets because data is provided from legacy subsystem you can use PreShutdownTask to cleanup layers before udig shut down.

How to create FeatureTypes? Please consult geotools documentations (udig depends on geotools) :
http://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/library/main/feature.html
http://docs.geotools.org/stable/tutorials/feature/csv2shp.html#create-a-featuretype

HTH

--Frank