Re: [udig-devel] [udig-users] info panel

That is a great question!

Here is the honest answer - we were waiting for someone to ask that question before creating a way.

This is actually project policy:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/1+UDIG+Guidelines

To quote from the above page:

No API Before Its Time

Additional plug-ins and functionality can be added at the request of the developer community (this means you). We try not to add any functionality without a solid use-case from a real developer, preferably with a running example in a community module.

If what you are looking for is not here - please ask on the developer list.

So I would like to hear from you what you how you would like to hook into the info tool? Can you tell me a story of what you are trying to accomplish?

As a reference point here is how it works today:
1. Right now the InfoTool turns around and opens the InfoView; passing it the coordinate that was clicked on. The InfoView then goes and asks each layer if it has something to say.
2. For the layers that do have something to say; they are listed along the left hand side of the info view (they are basically what the user managed to "hit").
3. If the user selects one of them the result is displayed on the right hand side of the info view. We have support for three things currently:
- get feature info (basically a web URL request to a WMS)
- feature details (we show the feature properties in a normal eclipse properties panel)
- coverage (I think this is a custom view)

--
Jody Garnett