Re: [udig-devel] github vs gitourous

+1 GitHub

From my readings and experience playing with both GitHub and Gitorious. I like GitHub because it:
- Has better documentation;
- Plays well with clients other then CLI git;
- Appears more mature and seems to stay ahead of Gitorious in regard to conforming to the current git spec (see smart http);
- Nice project tracker;
- Nice issue tracker;
- The Wiki looks nice but I haven't had a chance to play with its editor as yet;
- Promotes discussion, mentoring and social interaction see: https://github.com/jquery/jquery/pull/228

Good for new people, good for developers, good for documentation contributors, promotes community... Would provide a place to centralise the uDig development and documentation.  The integration of task and issue tracking with the project code repo is neat and tidy. Not to mention the uDig wiki is versioned as its committed into and generated from the project repo.

In the end, what I care about is stability for the uDig community.

As such, the requirements are a service that:
- is guaranteed to be there for quite a few years;
- provides a stable home for the uDig project;
- continues updating and upgrading itself to support changes in the Git protocol;
- provides tools to help manage the project;
- is intuitive with great documentation to help new starters get onboard.

--
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..."

Back to the top