[udig-devel] Fwd: Re: Network error connecting to plugin site

Forwarded from refractions...

From: "Derstine, Brian A." <bderstine@xxxxxxx>
Date: 2 February 2011 4:19:39 AM AEST
To: Chris Hodgson <chodgson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "udig-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx." <udig-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Network error connecting to plugin site

Hello uDig Developers,

I’m following directions on this site to add the udig site to my installation in order to download plugins: http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Finding+new+plugins

Unfortunately, I was not able to complete the specified setup steps without errors.

After Step 7: Press Finish, I get an error window popup with the following message:

“Network connection problems encountered during search.
Error parsing site stream. [White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.]
White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.
Error parsing site stream. [White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.]
White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.”

I was able to finally add a remote site by pointing the installer search at http://udig.refractions.net/files/update/1.2/community/ instead of the top level domain.

It would help greatly if the user documentation (particularly the screen shot showing the wrong remote site address) on confluence were updated to reflect this change.  It would really help if the documentation available under the Help menu within uDig (which is where I first turned for help) were also updated with the actual remote URL address:
Installation Instructions Need Fixin' herehttp://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Axios+uDig+Extensions - Step 3 was very confusing because as a beginner I didn't know what the URL of the uDig 1.1 Discovery Site was (Googling uDig 1.1. Discovery Site doesn't help either)!
The above site rather ironically links from the following site as instructions for "User Docs and Installation" http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/COM/Spatial+Operations+and+Editing+Tools#SpatialOperationsandEditingTools-UserDocsandInstall even though it never explicitly tells new users: Hey!  You need to add the following Remote Site URL in order to enable these extensions: http://udig.refractions.net/files/update/1.2/community/

Thanks,

Brian
 ....snip....
Derstine, Brian A. wrote:

> I’m following directions on this site to add the udig site to my
> installation in order to download plugins:
>
> Unfortunately, I am not able to complete the setup without errors.
>
> After Step 7: Press Finish, I get an error window popup with the
> following message:
>
> “Network connection problems encountered during search.
>

> Error parsing site stream. [White spaces are required between publicId
> and systemId.]
>
> White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.
>
> Error parsing site stream. [White spaces are required between publicId
> and systemId.]
>
> White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.”
>
> *Brian A. Derstine*
>
> Decision and Information Sciences
>
> Argonne National Laboratory
>
> 630.252.8169