Re: [udig-devel] udig.eu domain

I would say, "don't bother with copyright transfer". You've got a mess
of mixed copyright in there anyways, regardless of what the headers
say. A big chunk of it will be Refractions (c), but then there will be
things that Jody and Jesse have added since leaving and chunks from
other outside committers, and since there has been no explicit
copyright assignment regime, the ownership is mixed.

It's not a problem, it's just something to recognize. I prefer to be
explicit about it. In PostGIS, we've known we had mixed copyrights for
a long time, so rather than pretend that headers have a legal standing
and make things (c) OSGeo or (c) PostGIS PSC, we just make them (c)
whoeverdidthework.

Remember, the headers don't have standing, they are metadata. You have
to explicitly assign your copyright (or, in Europe where that isn't
allowed, assign shared copyright) to some other entity. And the only
reason you would go to all that trouble is (IMO) if you (a) think at
some point you might want to change the license or (b) worry about a
lawsuit coming and hope that your global copyright holder will stand
in front of the other contributors and say "it is mine, deal with me".
It's also useful when dealing with organizations who want an answer to
"who owns this" that doesn't sound like a mouthful of marbles ("well,
the copyright is held by 100 different people...").

If you did want to join OSGeo, you could use them as a copyright
assignee, but see the caveats above. The main reasons to join OSGeo
are the metacommunity and reflected legitimacy, in my opinion. Also
the infrastructure :)

Best,

Paul

PS. udig.me is pretty cute.