[udig-devel] Refactoring net.refractions.udig.libs into jar projects

Now that 1.2.0 is pushed and there is a git repos, I thought I'd take a closer look at transforming the libs to a more plugin friendly / granular set based on jar projects with unpacked class files. My motivation is to be able to break out just the stuff that I need. And in general it would be nice to have real geo tools and Open GIS libs for other projects. But having the libs as enclosed jars is bad for runtime and I'm finding especially development time performance / memory. At least I'm getting lot's of OOMEs in my IDE and that's the only thing I can think of.

I've done this a number of times with other projects. But I wanted to see if it was worthwhile --

1. Is there was a rationale beyond historical reasons for having the unexploded jars used still?

2. Would I break anything important and non-obvious doing this?

3. What are the Activator and Messages classes providing in this setting? Is there some magic that requires dependent libraries to be loaded at startup..perhaps this could be accomplished in other ways?

cheers,

Miles

Back to the top