[udig-devel] fileFormat extension point

Today I am kicking the tires of the fileFormat extension point -- which is used like so:
    <extension
          id="net.refractions.udig.catalog.shp.fileFormat"
          point="net.refractions.udig.catalog.ui.fileFormat">
       <fileService
             fileExtension="*.shp"
             name="%fileService.name"/>
    </extension>

Mostly I am filling in the description information so it is easier to fill in for 1st time users (cause I never remember that * is needed).

I am also looking at this with an eye for the generic datastore supported; I need to programatically come up with a list of supported file extensions - and doing the same thing for the imageio-ext formats would also be smart.

So I am thinking of allowing ...
    <extension
          id="net.refractions.udig.catalog.shp.fileFormat"
          point="net.refractions.udig.catalog.ui.fileFormat">
       <fileService
             fileExtension="*.shp"
             name="%fileService.name"/> <!-- explicit is still allowed -->
       <dynamic
             provider="net.refractions.udig.catalog.geotools.data.DataStoreFormatProvider" />
    </extension>

The "FormatProvider" interface would need to produce a Map<String,String> documenting extension and format name.

Jody

Back to the top