[udig-devel] ISearch, IRepository, ICatalog Notes

Going through javadocs and reviewing some of the implementation code.
The goal is to make things a bit easier to use, and clean up any issues found...

Went over the extension point and broke out entries for ISearch, IRepository and ICatalog. Cleaned up javadocs etc...

One of the most annoying hurdles is checking if a service exists, and then creating it if needed, and adding it to the repository.

WIth that in mind:
 IRepository.acquire( connectionParameters );

I also found a couple glitches in the handling of List<IService> returned by ServiceFactory; it is the responsibility of the caller to "clean up" any created services. Indeed the javadocs indicate you must call dispose yourself or hand the service over to the local catalog (which will call dispose when the application exits).

With this in mind:
   ServiceFactory.dispose( List<IService> ); helper method - remove the service you use from the list and pass the rest in here to get disposed
   IRepository.add( IService ): IService; returns the service as added now (incase the "add" failed because the service was already known). I cannot figure out a better way of indicating if the service was handed over to the local catalog or not?

I will check where add( IService ) is used and see what I can clean up. Any feedback/questions welcome.

Jody

Back to the top