From: udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jody Garnett
Sent: Wednesday, 30 September 2009 5:06 PM
To: User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
Subject: Re: [udig-devel] uDig integration as an Eclipse feature[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

> Hi all,
>
> My team and I are just starting out using uDig, hoping to get a bit of
> guidance.

Welcome :-)

> We were trying to work out how to integrate uDig into an existing
> application.

Right - there is an example of a basic rcp application with the mapviewer added to it in the tutorials section. This example is from our commercial training course but you can try it out yourself if you like.

> it seems that uDig has an "Eclipse feature" option - is this still
> available?

The demo above makes defines an feature gathering up the plugins needed; while leaving out many of the udig ui plugins. As an example net.refractions.udig.catalog is included; but net.refractions.udig.catalog.ui is not included (since it makes user interface contributions that were not desired). Depending on your application you may pick or choose what functionality to include; and can explore a couple advanced techniques to filter the pom.xml files to hide content on a case by case basis.

> The tutorials we've looked at seem to imply that you must use the uDig
> development environment as a base starting point (as opposed to, say,
> the standard Eclipse RCP).

Um it does not quite work that way ...
- you run the eclipse development environment like normal
- when ever you run eclipse you can choose your intended "target platform" for plug-in development
- the default target platform  is the eclipse you are running on
- udig sdk *is* a target platform that you can download
- in actual work for customers I usually use the udig-sdk and add additional plugins from eclipse and other sources as appropriate

There is a good book called "contributing to eclipse" that is old and probably out of print; and another recent one called "eclipse plug-ins" - both of these I recommend

> Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Jody