Re: [udig-devel] uDig and plugin development

Hi Jody,

I had a developer recently point out to me that the way uDIG managed projects and the way the eclipse IDE managed projects was quite different. So if you wanted to have an IDE and a GIS together, you would have two different sets of projects, one for uDIG managed by EMF and one for the IDE managed by eclipse.core.resources. I personally think this is OK if the integration is user friendly, for example the uDIG project has references to the IDE projects that it is interested in. Then when you open a uDIG project, you get two projects tabs, one for the uDIG projects and one for the IDE projects those uDIG projects have referenced.

And you could make it clearer to the user by hiding the IDE projects when in Map perspective, and having it only show up when you are in, for example, a 'GIS Developers' perspective.

I think this is compatible with the current uDIG, so IResources is still optional. And I guess the references from uDIG to IResources can simply be added by a plugin that adds to what a uDIG project persists to disk, and that would simply be a reference to the IDE projects? Am I making any sense? Is this what you meant by your 'net.refractions.udig.
resource' plugin?'

Cheers, Craig