Re: [udig-devel] Complex Features

Support is gradually being rolled out.

One of the bottlenecks has been we lack a source of rich data structures - data with relationships just does not seem to be that common in the GIS space. As such even though we have the implementation in geotools we have been able to do no more then write test cases against it.

Ben is the fellow leading the charge - I see he has a few words here:
http://blog.geoserver.org/2009/03/25/coming-soon-complex-features/

Aside - "complex features" makes sense in contrast to "simple features" however it has proven very hard for me to get anyone to fund (something to keep in mind next time you name something!)

As such there are two attempts to rename it:
- "rich features" - see that sounds like something worth funding :-) unless people figure it already has money .... I hate language
- "community schemas" - this is actually an application of a rich feature model; but it is something everyone can feel good about funding - after it supports a community; and literally allows them to agree on a schema to share information

Ben has been kind enough to create a test dataset in geotools so I can try out the rich feature model in uDig. This was the major road block in taking the rich feature model to uDig.

I share your passion for attributes and references; but we need people to publish data sets that are interesting enough :-) If we want to wrap up Ben's test dataset for the uDig catalog we can start working on the info tool now.

Longer term I would like to see an H2 datastore with support for external keys.

Jody