Re: [udig-devel] Open Street Map in uDig

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Harry Bullen wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Yes. Make a preference page that the used can fill in some king of yahoo
>>> I'd
>>> and you are good to go. Yahoo also offers decent search for looking up
>>> WMS
>>> etc.
>>>

>> I know the iphone keyboard is small and everything but I can't figure
>> out what your're saying here:)
>>

> :-P Yeah no Internet at home yet.
Ouch you should do what I do and jail break your iPhone.  Then you can
use it as a wireless hub to the internet using PDAnet.

> What I was trying to say was that yahoo has a good api that you can use to
> talk to many of their services; the API requires some kind of "yahoo id" to
> be supplied when you make a request. You can make a preference page so that
> users can supply their yahoo id and then once that is available you can have
> a bunch of functionality (maps, traffic, geocoder, search for wms layers
> etc...) that is "enabled".

That looks like what I should be doing.  Right now I'm just yanking
tiles of their server.  The problem with the API is they make it hard
to specify the exact bounds of the image they return for you.  Also
each image contains the a scale bar and a red star at the center. So
i'll have to do a bit of hacking to fix that.