Re: [udig-devel] walkthrough 1 - refractions postgis instance is unavailable

Eric,
I looked at your videos with explanation. Those gui studies are
amazing. Thanks for the effort.

I agree with you that we all will need to concentrate on udig core and
usability.

I will wait another bit if somebody can do a product export of udig to
be tested (still hope), then I will try to setup Jesse's headless
building system. Jesse, is the building system currently working?
Should I be able to create the build?

Ciao
Andrea

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Eric Jarvies <ej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> how I've pointed out about a dozen or so issues.
> http://ericjarvies.com/udig/Table_view_tabbing_copyPaste_importExport_userConfig.mov
>
> 3. etc.
> (i'll add 30 more videos with about 100 items to the list)
>
> I will prepare as many videos as I can that point out lacking features,
> areas that need improvement, and of course bugs.  Also, I will upload
> 640x480 videos, in addition to thumbnail videos(like the above 2), so that
> those of you that are unable to get the point from those small video files,
> can reference the full size and full res files, which of course are
> 10-40mb's each, depending on length.
>
> In my opinion, as part of this sprint, I encourage those capable(coding) to
> really try to concentrate on BASIC functionality, so that uDig can start
> being used as an editor of data.  I understand that a lot of these basic
> features are not as exciting to program/code, as are other features that are
> cooler or a lot neater, but imho, these BASIC functionality features will
> result in more users actually using uDig for more things, like editing
> records, for example.  Right now, I only use uDig for a viewer, because it
> is incapable of being used as an editor, because it lacks basic
> functionality in that department.  Alas, these are fairly straight forward
> issues to address/correct/add, programmatically speaking, so I encourage the
> programming-powers-that-be, to please seriously consider putting these
> towards the top of the priority list(copy, paste, keyboard commands, etc.)
>
> over the next days, I will go through udig from head to toe, and create
> these videos, and as I upload them and post them to the wiki, I would
> appreciate it if all of you could view them, and then edit the wiki to
> reflect which of them are the most important, and which should definitely be
> addressed.  Each video may cover one, some, or many issues at once.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric
>

> On Dec 16, 2008, at 1:24 AM, andrea antonello wrote:
>
>> Great Eric and Marks, thanks for the help.
>> I'm really glad things are constantly moving.
>>
>> We still have an important issue to solve: we do not have a working
>> udig product to use for the pre-sprint testing.
>>
>> In my opinion if we do not push out a 1.2 test-version soon we risk to
>> have too few time.
>> I am currently not working hard on trunk, so for me it would be an
>> effort to set up Jesse's build engine right now.
>> Is anyone able to throw out a version "as-it-is-now" without too much
>> effort? Any volunteer?
>>
>> Ciao
>> Andrea
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Eric Jarvies <ej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> ok, i will setup a user account(ssh/sftp) for you to access the server,
>>> which is hosted at slicehost.  i have 2 slices, each at 1gb, so one, or
>>> both
>>> can be used, and if more system resources are needed, i will up the 1gb
>>> 2gb, or 4gb if needed.  also, have 2 static ip addresses on each of those