AW: [udig-devel] A need for branching uDig and Geotools, and how to merge again

Thanks for your feedback - I'm glad to hear that we share a view on the libs bundle and the need to do something about it.

2) Working branches will be created in the uDig and Geotools repositories for my team and myself to do the required modifications, merging changes from the trunk as often as possible. If and when our branches have stabilized and the communities have verified that the results are useful and correct, the working branches can be merged into the trunk and die.

We would like to meet the members of your team; do they have commit access at this time etc?

There's three of us in my team, and so far I'm the only one working with uDig. When I've tidied up what I've done so far on our own plugin and when we've found a way of managing all the repository access and branching issues, I'm planning to let someone else take over, but probably not before the new year, seeing that our uDig plugin is just a small subproject of our regular work and not a top priority one...

So far, I don't have commit access for uDig, and it would be helpful if you can set up an account for me, to get a chance of pushing some trunk-compatible changes back - if you prefer a pull model, that's fine with me also. Considering Adrian's feedback from the Geotools perspective and the fact that they have started using Mercurial anyway, I really think it would be the best thing for us to work on Mercurial clones both of uDig and Geotools, until we've reached a stabilized subset of uDig and Geotools without our dear friend net.refractions.udig.libs. Until that point, it wouldn't really make sense to merge any changes back into the uDig repository, unless you would like to mirror our Mercurial work on a Subversion branch.

What about uDig wiki access and editing policies? I think it would be useful if I could document our plan and our progress there. Even if the software changes happen on a repository clone, at least the documentation should be kept in one place.
We may be able to set up HTTPS for this stuff (we would need to talk to admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for details).

 That would definitely make things easier. On the other hand, if we do work with Mercurial, then it's not that urgent - I could pull the changes from Subversion to Mercurial at home and push them to the team repository at work. One of the nice features of DVCS :-) On the other hand, I think it would be rather hard to push anything from Mercurial back into Subversion.

Then the Geotools libraries will be osgified as outlined in
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTDOC/03+GeoTools+and+Eclipse+or+OSGi, without breaking the META-INF/services mechanism and without losing the capability of being used as plain old JARs on the classpath.

This is the part that is of interest to me; you may wish to show up for a geotools IRC meeting and talk to the community about it.

Sure why not - when is the next one? If it's during office hours (GMT+1), I'll probably unable to access IRC, again thanks to our firewall and web proxy. I'd have to find an IRC-over-HTTP service and hope that the HTTP server is not on the blacklist of our proxy...

Harald

innovative systems GmbH Navigation-Multimedia
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Edwin Summers - Kevin Brown - Regis Baudot
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg - Registergericht: Hamburg HRB 59980

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und loeschen Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the contents in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.