Re: [udig-devel] Derby database

There is a project called "spatial DB in a Box" that practiced embeding JTS (ie spatial geometryes) into the various open source java databases including derby. My understanding is that it was encoded as a String (using WKT?) and that the various spatial functions could be asked to work against such strings.

This effort was abandoned by the developer (who being a GIS person could not live with the limit of a String length (32 k) or the lack of a spatial index.

More information here:
- http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/SpatialDBBox

You are welcome to pick up where they left off.
Jody

Seth Stradling wrote:
Hi-

A project that I am involved in is looking at moving to embedding an Apache Derby database in with our application. I don't understand Derby or JDBC that well, but I am sure that what we have is not spatially enabled. Does uDig support connections to regular databases of this type, or do you think it would be better to have a separate Geoserver running for the GIS portion of our app?

Thanks-
S Sandoval
Infrastructure Planning