[udig-devel] Re: [Geotools-devel] Praise for SRS Code in GeoTools/UDig

This one is all about Martin (I echo your thanks for all his hard work).

Adrian Custer is gradually teaching me about CRS and Projections so hopefully the uDig support in this area will make
more sense (and be more friendly) in the future.
I was a little puzzled as to why GeoTools was using the EPSG database
for reprojection when I first looked at the Javadoc. However, after
some research online I realized that the EPSG really has the most
comprehensive collection of information about spatial reference
systems that is readily available. The decision made by the GeoTools
developers to use EPSG now makes a lot of sense.
We actually support any CRS you can come up with; we ship with a number of OGC defined authority factories; and you can make your own objects by hand if needed. But on a pragmatic side the EPSG definitions are the best game in town.
Good work guys. I'll know be using UDig for all my reprojection, at
least until I can get your code plugged into OpenJUMP! :]
:-) Collaboration and Competition I like it. Remember for OpenJump you can get away with just a subset of the geotools library if all you want is the referencing support. The geoapi, metadata, referencing, and espg-hsql should do it as far as I know.
I apologize for my somewhat hasty judgement of the GeoTools SRS code
that I made a few weeks ago.
No worries it is already forgotten.
Jody

Back to the top