[udig-devel] Re: [Geotools-devel] Connecting to dB's: default dB names and schema use

Adrian Custer wrote:
Does each dB always have a default schema equivalent to the 'public'
schema on Postgresql that uDig current shows?
As I understand things (badly) schema can be umbrellas over several
tables, stored procedures, etc. What's the relation between the list of
schema and the list of dB's (clusters/catalogs)? One source seemed to
suggest that schema can integrate data from several dB's. I presume, if
this is true, that the user can still connect to a single dB, using that
particular schema and execute all the queries against that original dB.

Thanks for any explanations or pointers to documents.

Two things mean "schema" -

If you are generating XML - the "schema" is used to define your FeatureTypes - so "Road" would be "topp:Road" when written out as GML using a schema prefix called "topp"...

And some databases organize their tables into different "schema" :-(

Does this help?

Jody

Back to the top