Re: [udig-devel] GeoTiff - tif + tfw

Hi Zlatko, Jesse,
I have tested the RC10 udig and regarding to tiffs and images it shows
up the same problems: in both windows and linux the images are loaded
with an extreme slowlyness and sometimes even do not load (the jpg at
it's layer extent zoom).
To try the same, I'm testing the thing with the jpg and tiff I put here
(it is not a free dataset):
www.hydrologis.com/testfiles/udigdata.tar.gz

The JGrass way is a bit a problem, since when imported into a JGrass
workspace, the data are converted to GRASS raster format, which has a
different compression mechanism, since is uses the tiff like a dataset
and not an image. That way a tiff risks to explode. I have 300 megs of
tiffs like the ones in the example and we realized that use them in a
GRASS format, would make 10 giga out of it. So no way to handle them
like that. The GRASS format is for analysis purposes.

I too need a mechanism to load automagically tiffs (let's say given a
folder with tiffs and a file describing their position and so on) and
would be very willing to code it into udig.

However our biggest and not in short time solvable problem is that tiffs
and jpgs are not handled in the best way right now and that the new
geotools with reviewed coverage is not here and now for udig.

So what I'm really thinking of, is to code the viewer with geotools,
even if it makes me very, very sad, since I would like to put all of my
efforts into udig and only udig! Since udig is THE desktop part, udig
should be able to supply a configurable lightweight version of itself,
like for axample arcexplore (not sure it is called like that :))

What do you think? Anyone any idea on how to solve that?

Ciao,
Andrea