Re: [udig-devel] Positioning text with LabelPlacement

tony.roth@xxxxxx wrote:
Hi list,
two questions about putting text to a feature in the map:
i) I'm using a Textsymbolizer object, which is positioned by a LabelPlacement. The problem is, that the position is fixed and independet from the position of the object in the map. Sometimes it is near the left or right edge of the map and the text is truncated especially if you have long attribute values. I can calculate the position of the Textsymbolizer depending on text length and relative position to the viewpane but ... no. Is it somehow possible in UDIG to generate a "floating" Textsymbolizer object which is positioned by the Rendermanager?

Tony, this doesn't sound right. What geometry type are your features, and what SLD snippet are you using? Usually text is positioned as a proportion of the text length, with 0 being right-aligned, 1 being left-aligned, and 0.5 being the midpoint (for points at least). Offsets can also be applied.

ii) In the project I'm involved in, we use the Textsymbolizer to inform the user about certain feature attributes. More convenient for the user would be something like an onmouseover effect which opens a tool tipp if the mouse position is next to a feature (of a certain layer). Is something like this existing in Udig itself or in related projects?

This doesn't exist -- a good idea though! When should the tool tip appear? Only when a certain tool is selected (like the info tool), or anything? (the latter being more difficult)

Cory.

Back to the top