Re: [udig-devel] two questions about using shapefiles for uncommon things

Hi Tony,

On 20-Feb-07, at 4:38 AM, tony.roth@xxxxxx wrote:

Hi list,

in our project we are using jira plugins in our eclipse rcp application. It is used for the visualization of different facilities on a map. The map is delivered by a wms server, the facilities are stored in a database (mysql). To show these facilities a temporary shape file is created. It was a funny thing writing mixed up big and little endian variables with java but finally it works :-) (yes, I suppose somewhere an api / lib exists but.. where?)

i) Is this the canonic way? Or is it somehow possible to create an in-memory layer instead of writing a shape file?

There are code snippets for just this sort of thing at:

Now we have the problem that the map of the wms server is quite colorful and in different scale ranges different colors are the ground color. Therefore the icons (squares, circles, ..) which represent the items of the shapefile are not as good visibile as the user wants it. My idea: Create an shapefile with an polygon, covering the complete world, set its colour to black and give a controller to the user to adjust the opacity. Now the user can dim the brightness of the wms map and the shapfile items (which are on the top of the layer stack) are more visible.

ii) Good idea? Bad idea? Bullshit? Is there an internal (in udig) mechanism to adjust the brightness of a png delivered by the wms server?

I'd suggest creating a style for the feature layer that has a lower opacity to tone down the colors use 50% maybe.  Or use a different color.  I think it would be easier.  But yes you can modify the brightness of a GridCoverage.  Never having done it you will have to ask the Geotools users list for advice on how to do it.

Cheers,

Jesse

Back to the top