[udig-devel] uDig doesn't free memmory

Deleting layers doesn't free memory so that undo will work.  One thing that can be done is the size of the undo stack can be reduced.  Also a possibility is to make the undo stack be cleared when a map is closed.

Jesse

Hello, I'm making a simulation of an Image catalog by using a listener that adds and removes layers whenever the map bounds change. It works fine, but the trouble is that removing layers does not release memory resources. Removing the resources from the catalog didn't help either. Calling the garbage collector ( System.gc() and Runtime.getRuntime().gc()) also didn't help. Since I'm importing TIFF images the memory gets filled up very quickly.  Is there a way I can remove a layer (a tiff image) and release the memory it's been holding? Thanks

Damjan Šavko