[udig-devel] Seeking more direction from the uDIG community

Hello Community,

Thanks for previous help you've offered. I could use a bit more direction if possible to determine whether I should carry on with uDIG for a small project I am working on. I'm finding the uDIG development learning curve to be a bit steep so far.

I've spent the last few days looking at uDIG (e.g. plugin tutorial and all the other online resources) and I am trying to figure out the simplest way to make use of powerful postgreSQL/postGIS capabilities. Previously I was concerned with constructing spatial queries on massive point data sets. These processes are easy if I use a standard postgreSQL interface like psql or pgAdmin. It seems like it should be a fairly simple task to construct plugins within uDIG that make use of these and other RDBMS capabilities through JDBC (if they don't already exist somewhere). I read an entry on Cory Horner's community page about extending uDIG functionality to incorporate better RDBMS capabilities. I am most definitely interested in this because I am always faced with problems where this type of capability would be an asset.

To give you an idea of the type of functionality I am interested in, considering the following two examples:

(1) I am constantly using GIS and RDBMS capabilities separately (loosely coupled fashion)for information management in the field of hydrology. For example - I need to summarize the joint probability distribution of land-use and soil types to determine an average (lumped) runoff coefficient for nested watersheds (since runoff is a function of landuse and underlying soil properties, among other things). I do this by exporting the polygon intersection of a soils layer, land-use layer and watershed layer to a RDBMS. Then I use lookup tables to determine coefficients for individual landuse-soil combinations and use an aggregate query to determine the mean value for each watershed. It is nice to then join the mean value back to the watershed layer and display this in a map. I also use the RDBMS to do reporting of the individual intersected polygons by watershed. This type of analysis and reporting is standard in flood risk assessment and could be very easily streamlined with a tool like uDIG and postgreSQL.

(2) Storing and accessing spatial-temporal hydrology data is an emerging area of interest (consider the ESRI ArcHydro framework if you're familiar with it) and an interesting direction for Open Source GIS. For example, I would like to be able to store decades worth of hourly streamflow data for numerous gauged weirs within a postgreSQL DB and have this linked to a uDIG application that allows me to extract the streamflow data by (e.g.) clicking on a point station and entering a date. The query result could be just exported to a text file for now. This capability would open the door to a whole range of interesting spatial-temporal hydrology applications (e.g. recession analysis, climate and streamflow data interpolation, hydrologic model parameterization).

Based on these two particular examples, could someone perhaps direct me on how to proceed to develop a very simple proof of concept for enhanced RDBMS capabilities within a GIS environment? Consider example 1 for instance - can I create a uDIG operation that is accessed by right-clicking on 3 highlighted layers (like the difference operation that is available when two layers are selected). For my purposes I would like these to be postGIS layers. The operation could then execute the postGIS intersection procedure, the attribute join and the aggregate function all within the postgreSQL service, and then map the results back to the watershed layer for display in uDIG?

I know this is a fairly specific question, but what it boils down to is, how do I access postGIS spatial operations as well as general postgreSQL RDBMS functionality and non-spatial tables within the uDIG environment?

Thanks in advance for any help. This project is for a small Open Source/Open Access Student Experience program grant I am working on through University of Toronto that involves developing a proof-of-concept idea and some educational tutorials using postgreSQL/postGIS. I would like to eventually be able to post the results on my own uDIG community page if things go well. I think this type of work could help open up uDIG capabilites to the slightly less technical users like myself (e.g. GIS and basic programming/RDBMS skills experience, but still need lots of examples and explicit documentation to follow!).

Look forward to hearing back from someone - hope it's not too much to ask over a mailing list!

--
Murray Richardson, M.Sc
PhD Candidate

Back to the top