Re: [udig-devel] animation for temporal data

Hi Dale, we have considered add "time" to the ViewPort model for a while (following the guidelines used by the WMS specification). We have not done this yet - as you are the first person to ask.

Here is how you could do it today:
1. place "time" on your style black board (it is a parameter that will help choose which resource & renderer to use) 2. make a "style configurator" that has a slider (and a play button backed by a Job?) 3. associate the shapefiles together using the catalog friends extension point 4. now that the layer has access to time and all the shapefiles you can either: - Choose the correct Shapefile via via a layer resource post processing hook (jesse has the details); or - copy the shapefile renderer code and have it ask for the correct shapefile directly

Having this as an example would help provide the real world experience needed to place time into the ViewPort model properly.
Cheers,
Jody

Hi

I have a bunch of shapefiles representing temporal data (wildfire growth on an hourly basis). How might I go about automatically animating them -- ideally just by specifying a basename for the files and a timer for updating the current file. Saving the animation as a movie
would be a nice bonus :-)

Thanx

Dale