[udig-devel] Can't see the forest for the trees -- Newbie to RCP.

Title: Can't see the forest for the trees -- Newbie to RCP.
Hi,

I have done all RCP tutorials I can find in books and the web.  Sort of a bit too “Hello Worldish” though.  I am missing something key.

If I want to create a RCP that builds on uDIG, I am unsure how to do this?  I assume I need to find the one(?) plugin that launches uDIG, that has a run() method. Then add to the extension points from there?

I am not sure if I can, or if I should:

  1. create a blank RCP app, then pull in what uDIG plugin’s I need.
  2. or, start with the uDIG app, modify what I need, and create new plugins to add to it, but for the app I am building.

I am trying to convert over from OpenMap to uDIG.  In OpenMap you typically take the OpenMap app, and then hack it towards what you need for your own app.  I do not know if this is the right approach (proper?) with uDIG, and how to even get started if that is the case.

I will keep reading the uDIG documentation. Maybe I can volunteer someday to build a “forward” button in that tutorial :-)

Thanks in advance for any advice/help anyone can offer. I look forward to learning more about uDIG, it looks great!

Ed
--

Edward MacKerrow
IAT-1 International Research, Analysis, and Technology Development,

Back to the top