Re: [udig-devel] Re: Udig: Problem of file saving

Jesse Eichar wrote:

1. When you add layers to a map you do so by "importing". So it would be consequent to let the user "Export" in-memory layers to shapefiles, not to "save" them.

I take issue with the first comment. We do not "import" layers to add them to the map. We only "import" when we are changing the format of a thing, like converting an E00 to a native format of some sort. (Shame we still don't have a native format. SDF anyone?)

I agree, "export" has a particular meaning, and any sort of format change implies an "export".

- "Load project" loads project and asks to save previous one, if changed.
- "Save project" save the project.
- "Save as" saves with file dialog
- "Close project" closes the project, asking the user to save it if it changed.

Agreed.

I believe that explicit saving of projects is important. Not always do I want to save what I have on the map when leaving UDig. Sometimes I'd rather discard any test maps I built.

Just my 2 cents.
--Matthias Basler
matthiasbasler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx