Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:19:32 -0400
From: Adrian Custer <acuster@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [udig-devel] Summer of Code
To: User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
<udig-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://www.deluoelectronics.com/customer/product.php?productid=99
http://www.deluoelectronics.com/customer/product.php?productid=110
>but I have no way of knowing how much "better" it is in the real world.

Ian and Adrian:

If you are looking for a Rx that will collect raw observations and is able to create a RINEX file, you may want to look at the DeLorme Bluetooth Logger (BLOG).

Bluetooth Package: Postr pro 2, Blue Logger and earthmate GPS $395US
This looks like a great deal.  Gives you one blue logger, one eartmate (collects nav file) and the Post Pro2 software to create a RINEX.  You may want to consider getting one or more extra Blue loggers and the optional antennas.  The PostPro2 allows you to process baselines using carrier phase and code observations to submetre accuracies if this is what you need.

The Rinex file also enables you to process positions using NRCAN's Precise Point Positioning (PPP) service or the US CORS equivalent service.  I believe the BLOG Rx uses the SIRF chipset and a friend of mine has tested it in canopy conditions and seems to perform very well.  As this is a single frequency Rx and does not have narrow correlator processor, you will find that using the PPP service will NOT give you submeter accuracy.  You would have to spend a few thousand dollars or so to find a mid grade narrow correlator receiver that willo btain submetre accuracy using PPP service.

Here are some links of interest:

Accessories: antenna, battery, PDA / PC adaptor, lithium battery

Post Pro2 baseline processor and RINEX file saver   http://www.delorme.com/professional/postpro/default.asp

I hope that helps.

Jim Sutherland
Victoria, BC