Re: [udig-devel] Local File Format

While investigting a PostGIS driver for FDO a month or so ago I found.....

The SDF fomat is a SQLite database with limited spatial filters.

C.

Jody Garnett wrote:

Hi Paul, CCing the GeoTools list as that is where datastores happen.

I did try to review the FDO API, as I had heard good things about it. But at the time it was locked away behind click through agreements. I trust our new feature model we are rolling out will be a superset of what they can support. Do we have any contacts in the FDO community?

I possible I would prefer to port their C++ code rather then go for another set of wrappers. HSQL is nice and small but lacks many normal database features, derby was also floated as an option. Our firends at OpenJUMP also had a discussion of creating an analog of the Geodatabase format.

If I can phrase this another way I would rather use PostGIS as a local datastore, as I don't need C++ wrappers to talk to it. Indeed if we limited the local datastore to being SFSQL happy we would have a better baseline for some of the join work gabriel is working on.

Jody

One of the things our recent MoF project has highlighted to me is that as we start adding serious geoprocessing abilities to uDig we are not going to be able to dodge the need for a local file format to hold intermediate results. The MoF project was lucky in that Shape format was not too constraining, and there was really only no intermediate file anyways.

We have sort of initially drifted towards the idea of using a beefed up version of the existing hsql datastore, adding some spatial indexing ability. I want to put another, better (harder!) option on the table.

How about using Spatial Data Format (SDF)?

What is SDF? It is the "native" format that the new Autodesk Mapguide Open Source uses.
Why would we want to use it?  Let me count the ways:
- There is already support for SDF being added to OGR and FME, so people who create SDF files in uDig can translate them easily to other formats using tools other than uDig. This will not be true if we roll our own on hsql. - The whole Autodesk product line has support for SDF, so even AutoCAD will be able to open uDig files. - The SDF format lives behind an abstraction called FDO (Feature Data Objects). If we can read/write from SDF via FDO, we can read/write from all the other FDO formats too. Because OGR is getting an SDO bridge, this also provides us a route into all the OGR formats as well. (From an implementation PoV, this also gives us two routes to choose from: implement an OGR datastore and get to SDF via OGR's FDO support; implement an FDO datastore and do the reverse.)

I think the "network effects" argument for doing SDF (and FDO) is very compelling.

Why not use it? I guess the problem of doing more C++ wrapping is part of it. And ignoring an hsql datastore that is 80% done hurts too.

Another option would be to use the new ESRI Geodatabase format, which does not use Access any more. That format is not fully baked yet though, and I do not think it is an open one. In general though, I am becoming enthralled with the idea of using, not inventing, a local format.