Re: [udig-devel] Towards an improved "Programmer's Guide"

Jesse Eichar wrote:
There are a few concerns that you have raised. The online help isn't designed to be viewed as it is on the wiki. It is intended to be exported into eclipse and eclipse help servlet should be started for online viewing of the documentation. The links on the documentation page is actually for keeping the online help upto date. The same goes for the user documenation. In other words the toc pages are formatted that way for a very good reason (so we can export the help almost directly into eclipse). The user documentation needs the same.

What Jesse is talking about is setting up an *infocenter*...like this one:
-<http://help.eclipse.org/help30/index.jsp>

We can set up a similar service for both the "online help" and the "developers guide".

If you follow this link you can see what we mean:
-<http://help.eclipse.org/help30/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/int_who.htm>

And the table of contents here should look similar:
-<http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/Programmer%27s+Guide>

When someone is learning uDig for the first time, I would like them to have both these documents available (in eclipse online help), that way we don't need to rewrite a lot of the information already provided by the eclipse community.

Jody

The other concern is finding the time to set up the servlets.

The eclipse page on how to run an infocenter is here...
-<http://help.eclipse.org/help30/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/help_infocenter.html>

Back to the top