Re: [udig-devel] can uDig access the wms_abstract attribute?

I'm using uDig 1.0.0 on Windows. I'm learning how to set up WMS servers, and use them in clients. I've set up a simple map file with a Mapserver 4.0 (yes, ancient) server, with two point layers. Each of the layers has a wms_abstract attribute in the LAYER > METADATA element. I can load and display the layers in uDig and ArcMap 9.0 without problems. ArcMap will show me the wms_abstract attribute, but I can't find a way to see it in uDig. Even the layer wms_title seems only partly available: it's used by default to assign the layer name, but I can't see it listed when I select the layer (under either Layers or Catalog) and go to Analysis > Information > Resource Summary.

Funny you should ask I am hacking at WMS Layers in udig right now, right now uDig only shows you leaf layers. I am switching it over so it can reveal the parent/child relationships.

Well, I'm glad to point out timely issues!

Am I missing something? I'd like to use uDig as a client for thoroughly testing my WMS server implementation.

You are not missing anything, as an application uDig only shows a small slice of "dublin core" style metadata.
The actual information you want is available at a programatic level.

If it is important for you you can quickly copy the tool you mentioned above to show you the contents of the WMS Layer.

I don't know what you mean; what exactly do I copy? BTW, I'm using the Windows installation package you guys distribute; I'm not a Java/Eclipse developer.

I doubt this makes any difference, but just in case, here's my GetCapabilities URL:
http://basin.ocean.washington.edu/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/html/emilio/mapserv/snoco/swm_wms.map&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

Thanks for your reply. Cheers,

-Emilio

Back to the top