Re: [udig-devel] Proposal - Export To ....

-<http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/COM/ExportSelectedFeatures>

> The "operation" is simple, the selected features. The process of
> exporting is hard coded to shapefile, but that can be changed. The
> important point is that both the FeatureType to create, and the ability
> access the data to be written is available.

I think we actually need an improvement in GeoTools on this front, for
'export'.  I think we should have a SPI plug-in mechanism for writers,
just like we do for readers (datastore).  Yes, datastores do write, that's
one of their big purposes, but they sort of more 'edit' than write.
Basically I'm thinking of like an output writer for PostGIS that like
ogr2ogr or shp2pgsql writes out the sql statements to disk.  In the
current scheme the 'write all' operation is second tier to update, delete,
insert.  In shapefile it happens to write everything out in the backend,
but it's not really a full part of the api.  granted there should be lots
of code re-use between the update/delete/insert and the output writer,
PostGIS should find a way to use the same live statements to write them
out to files.. But I think the output writer should perhaps have it's own
interface.  GeoServer could also make use of these directly, as 'output
formats' for WFS.  I think Brent just wrote one for Shapefile, and we have
one for GML (the default), and zipped GML.  These should be ale to share
lots of code with the udig output, but I believe we should consider a
slightly higher level API.  this would make a geotools2geotools little
swing program to convert from one format to another a cinch.

Chris

Back to the top