From: udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jody
Garnett
Sent: vrijdag 29 juli 2005 5:40
To: User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
Subject: Re: [udig-devel] Re: DB2 and Oracle support

David Adler wrote:

>> So I plan to try out this idea, making the "unfriendly" databases
>> like oracle and db2 only available via an update site. This buys me
>> two things:
>> - uDig is not downloaded with things that cannot work out of the box
>> - when installing a "Feature" from an updateSite I can customize the
>> install wizard to include a page that tells the users where the
>> jdbc-driver can be downloaded from, and lets them point the wizard at

>> to the downloaded driver.
>
> Jody, what are you planning?  It isn't clear what type of wizard you
> are suggesting.

Sorry it was not clear. In a sense I am "still" planning as I am trying
to figure out update sites and how I am supposed to solve this problem.
I was going to try it out on Oracle and then ask you what you thought.

> I'm not sure how "unfriendly" DB2 and Oracle actually are in regards
> to the JDBC drivers.  If you have the product installed, it contains
> the JDBC drivers and you are guaranteed to have the right level.

Fair enough, lets just say that workflow is a bit difficult for the open
source development model (witness the inclusion of a mock oracle-jdbc
driver with uDig so people can checkout and compile even when they do
not have the product).

> It would seem to make sense to me to use the
> DataStoreFactory.isAvailable() to check whether the data store can be
> used before even adding the various databases to the selection list in

> uDIG.  At least in the case of DB2DataStoreFactory, this checks the
> availability of the JDBC drivers.

Correct - that is the design and it will work.

> Since uDIG is supposed to be "User-friendly", it seems it should be as

> easy as possible to get it up and running for any data source.

True - and here is how I hope to do that. For Oracle and DB2 (where we
cannot include the jdbc driver) I need to find a way to let users point
me towards the jdbc driver they already have.

I can think of two ways to do this:
1. Through a Preference page - When the user points towards a new jdbc
driver, I would need to figure out how modify the classpath of the
already running plugin.
2. When the users goes to install the feature (if you download a nightly
build you can see a "Find and Install..." menu item in the help menu.

My impression is that option number 2 is what I am supposed to do. There
is also a manual process - ask the user to place the jdbc driver jar
into the correct plugin.

Jody