RE: [udig-devel] rendering of geotiff

> So I gather there two problems (?)
> 1) dissattisfaction with the geotools geotiff code
> 2) Changing of the interfaces

> Why not use Gdal for the geotiff (a.o.) part. We build access from
> Javato Gdal using JNI based on the geo-api interface. Could read,
> write and create gridcoverages from java in there with reasonable
> performance. We did not finish it entirely but that has more to do
> with the changes that will happen in the geo-api interfaces with
> respect to ISO 19123 (we did
> not want to spent more time on implementing things that will change
> anyhow).

> In GeoTiff (internals) itself we have experience, coded our own
> conversions from geotiff to (at that moment) our internal ILWIS
> format.So the knowledge about Geotiff is ok I guess.

> With respect to interfaces I think we could contribute, many years
> experience on both the practical use of gridcoverages and the software
> side of it (and defining our interfaces for it). So whom should I
> contact there to talk with.
Hey Martin, I'm bumping this to geotools, as most all the raster guys
live there.  You just missed a great IRC meeting on this stuff, which
is unfortunate, would have been good to have you there.  But basically
people are just getting started on it.  You can read up on the wiki:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Coverage+Support+Plans has
the plans, would be great if you could introduce there and what you're
interests are.  Notes from the initial meetings are here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Kickoff+meeting+notes and the
full transcript is here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=29019

Martin D is looking for volunteers to help out on the GeoAPI interfaces,
and it would be just great if you guys could get involved in that.  And
yes, java based access to gdal is definitely on everyone's minds.
Currently sounds like it may come by way of OSSIM first, but more
direct access should be nice.  It sounds like there's enough interest
in having native java support for geotiff, for the cross platform
aspect of it.  But yes, Simone and Alessio, Martin D, and Bryce are
leading the charge on coverage plans, would be great if you could join
them.

best regards,

Chris