[udig-devel] Re: [Geoserver-devel] Who's using Geoserver (and for what)?

Hi Artie - just taking this conversation over to the udig-devel mailing list (I am not sure if you are signed up?) so we don't interrupt normal geoserver development.

Artie Konin wrote:

Ok, in our organization (Tambov city's municipal computing center)
GeoServer is used to serve data collected by our GIS department. My
work is to write some sort of GIS client (both web-based and desktop)
for presentation of this data. Of course, it would be much simplier to
adopt some of the existing code, but they just want it to be closely
integrated with their communal databases so it is plain faster to
write all from the scratch then to navigate through labyrinths of
someone else's code. It is not likely that this work will be in public
access any time soon due to that stupid "security" considerations and
other ugly stuff.

Please consider the use of uDig ( plug plug ) - it has a strong plugin
based system that you can use to implement your application (and avoid
most of the GIS data wrangling).  We have used it already for a couple
clients, it is LGPL so you don't have to worry about making your changes
public etc ....
Yes, we in fact already thought on this :)) And just waiting for
release to try the uDig. And, if I'll be able to understand how to
incorporate all needed functionality into a plugin(s) it is very
possible that uDig will be used in there :)
We found that some of the Eclipse books were excelent in this resepect. I really do appricate the platform/plugin based system as opposed to the application framework approach. There has been several applications created with uDig as a base, at least one of them is out in demo form a month before the uDig release.

The release will be going out later this afternoon. The sanity check is available now, I just need to bless one of these nightly builds and hit a button in the task tracker.

Jody

Back to the top