Re: [udig-devel] Some problems found while reviewing SVN Head

Tony Kennedy wrote:

Hi

Results of some more prowling around the user entry points, I've had some great fun setting up Oracle. Postgis Arc SDE databases to test connectivity:

Database connectivity:
Attempting to add layer from Postgis dialog allows transit to next operation without filling any fields exception thrown but no user feedback, next button should remain grayed out until user name password entered. Could not establish query on database, but this is probably by inexperience with this environment handed this on to database people, do you have a test schema?

I will let Justin answer this one, he has been working hard on Postgis support and optimization.

Attempting to add layer from Oracle dialog does not allow transit to next operation but no user feedback, next button remains grayed out . Could not establish query on database, handed on to database people, do you have a test schema?

Attempting to add layer from Arc SDE dialog allows transit to next operation after user name password entered. Could not establish connection to database exception thrown "org.geotools.data.DataSourceException:" Error fetching information from the server test:5432 on screen with error msg A connection error has occurred . probably by inexperience with this environment handed this on to database people, do you have a test schema?

We were going to mask out Oracle and ArcSDE support for the 1.0 release - as we do not have facilities to test. They have been released on good faith for community testing. We do however accept patches, these datastores are known to work - any problem is likely limited to the uDig wizards themselves.

Attempting to add layer from Files dialog, only shape files seemed to work, is this the state of play? used Geobase as the source am currently defining test and validation scheme against this file set

Several other formats are supported, geotiff files for example. The "filter" list at the bottom of the dialog should provide you some indication.

WFS WMS, lots of nice pictures, some sites work some sites dont, do you have a list of known "good sites" am setting up GeoServer as a reference site for test and validation

I am working on WFS testing right now. MapServer has some bugs that are preventing the use of INTERSECTS for example, support should be better with every download of "latest". There is this page:

http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Test+Servers

Please feel free to updata with {y} or {n} indications of success. You can just create an account and start editing - this is an open developement process.

Preferences Page:
Click on Ok give msg Error has occurred, no changes had been made no entry in log, no clues

This is on the hit list, sent a couple days ago. The best way to tell what is actually going on is:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/UDIG?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel
The road map dates (and bugs unresolved/fixed lists are accurate).

For example your bug shows up as:
- http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/UDIG-490

Noticed that after receiving certain exceptions uDig fails to close down properly giving a can't save perspective error then hangs am trying to isolate which exception causes this, will let you know.

This would be great to isolate - feel free to make a bug report and attach a log file (or ideas and patches) as you learn more details.

I will continue my walk around uDig views tomorrow

Thanks for all your help.
Jody

Back to the top