Re: [udig-devel] Quickstart comments

Charles Burnett wrote:

Hi All,
I'm new to this domain and so started with the Quickstart. I have a few
suggestions.
Background - I am doing an WinXP install with most components missing.
Great welcome - I am also stuck on WindowsXP. Many of the developers are on Linux, and we are hoping for Mac support one day.

File = http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Quickstart

Could we have the following text _above_ the Environment link?
Sure - this is open source developement, and that means you can create an account on that website and edit the page
as you see fit.

<b>Introduction</b>
This is the fastest quickstart we could come up with, starting from
nothing to udig in 30 min (depending on your network connection). The
links in the headings are to more detailed instructions. At the end of
each detailed instruction page is a link to the next detailed
instructions. Follow those box-cars or come back to this Quickstart
summary page.<br><br>
Regardless of which path you choose, start by clicking on the
Environment heading below. There you can check to see if your system has
the appropriate applications and environments installed.
This quickstart should be independent of env, one of the steps is downloading a JRE all tricked out with the needed JAI/ImageIO/Soap stuff. By placing that into your eclipse install you should be good to go.

Could we have the "detailed instructions" links (including those in
tables) open to a new window or tab? target=blank or target=detail
I have not figured out how to make links do that in confluence. I may be able to make a custom user
macro to acomplish it though.

Comments on some 'Environment' stuff...

In table, the "Java Advanced Imaging 1.1.2_01 For JRE" link takes you to
the  Java(TM) Advanced Imaging API 1.1.2 page, not the Java Advanced
Imaging API 1.1.2_01 page. 1.1.2 had some problems with my install of
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3. Seems it couldn't find my
RTE5v3... Reported an error "Requires Java 2 JRE v1.3" and aborted. Java
Advanced Imaging 1.1.2_01 seems happier and shows up in my "Add or
Remove Programs"
Good find, can you update the link. The page with the link is included everywhere so this is only needed in one spot.
Thanks for the review, and welcome to udig.

Jody

Back to the top