From: udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Justin
Deoliveira
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 10:03 PM
To: User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
Subject: Re: [udig-devel] Custom Renderer

Hi Wendy,

There is some documentation on our wiki
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/Programmer%27s+Guide
that will give you some background information about the catalog and
rendering workflow.

However, adding a new file format involves a catalog service and a
renderer.

The catalog service is contributed via the
net.refractions.udig.catalog.ServiceExtension extension point. This
boils down to writing implementations of the following interfaces.

IService
IGeoResource
ServiceExtension

The renderer is contributed via the
net.refractions.udig.project.renderer extension point. This involves
writing implementations of the following interfaces

IRenderer
IRenderMetrics
IRenderMetricsFactory

I am not familiar with the DXF format, but if it is a vector format you
should easily be able to use the existing feature renderer without
writing any rendering code. However this would involve writing a
geotools data store. There is documentation on how to do this available
in the geotools data access tutorials available from:

http://www.geotools.org/Tutorials

If all the above sounds like a large mountain to climb dont be too
discouraged, the udig team will happy to offer support.

Justin

Edwards, Wendy A ERDC-CERL-IL Contractor wrote
> Hi, we're working on some code to get UDIG to open and render DXF
> files.  It seems likely that we'll need a custom renderer, though it
> should be possible to extend BasicFeatureRenderer.  How should this be

> added to UDIG?  From what I understand, we should create a new plugin
> to do this, rather than modify existing code.  Is there any
> documentation explaining this?  I noticed that the section on
> renderers didn't seem to be up yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Wendy

Justin Deoliveira