[udig-devel] RC2 Rendering Problem UDIG-391 and GEOT-156 the complete message

Sorry the half the last email was missing

Hi

RC2 seems to have developed a rendering problem:

!MESSAGE java.lang.Exception: Exception rendering layer org.geotools.map.DefaultMapLayer@50d7c5
net.refractions.udig.project.render.RenderException: java.lang.Exception: Exception rendering layer org.geotools.map.DefaultMapLayer@50d7c5
  Caused by: java.io.IOException: Not enough storage is available to process this command
   at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map0(Native Method)
when zooming in on Victoria on Geobase - National Road Network, Canada BC

OK on RC1 sorry I take that back, the test was on a 64 bit Sun box, this problem was originally reported in UDIG-391 and in GEOT-156 where I think the proposed fix was to change the point at which the loader changed from memory mapped to virtual, is this the way to go? . In 32 bit Windows  you have 4G of virtual space per process half of which taken up by the OS. The remaining  is reduced by the VM and the application. If you set your heap to 1 GB  or more, running out of address space is inevitable, when the heap size plus the  mapped file size exceeds 1.5 GB you will get a  Not enough storage is available to process this command exception,  Using the techniques as coded the only solution would be  to use a 64-bit processor and operating system.

We are currently working on this and associated rendering speed problems, using our own databuffering and bytebuffering techniques, and in a separate work stream a swt opengl solution, the code is functional but incomplete at the moment, but  we can currently render both shape and GML files for the Canadian road network (from Geobase) in approx 4 to 6 sec for the complex files NRNC1_BC, NRNC1_AB, NRNC1_SK, NRNC1_MB, and can load and render the complete Canadian road network on a Toshiba.Qosmio Laptop with 512 memory. This puts uDig within range of the commercial opposition and cures one of the main complaints of our user groups.

On a completely different tack I'm being asked by the user groups if you are going to offer commercial support and if so who do they contact

Tony Kennedy

Back to the top