[udig-devel] Sending German Translation

Dear developers, dear Richard and Jody

Just some introductory words about me, since I'm new to the list:
I am studying geography a the Friedrich Schiller University Jena and have just
finished my diploma. Over one year ago I discovered Java to be the ideal
programming language for me (and geographers in general) and have started
working with Netbeans. Just two weeks ago I discovered Eclipse and it's really
nice and well-documented, as is uDig. Meanwhile I do my programming with
Eclipse and have tested building own plugins and using Subclipse.
I cannot help much with internals about web mapping since my interest is more in
the direction of geoimage processing, but uDig is the closest match next to the
BEAM 3.2 (Basic ERS & Envisat (A)ATSR and Meris Toolbox) software suite when it
comes to Java and GIS/Remote sensing applications.
I decided to help the project in some way, partly because I did (and hope to)
learn a lot from the project and the source code. Future help will largely
depend on the time I have, since I'm also doing some work for OpenOffice.org
and might even (hopefully) find a job.

---
To the topic:
In the latest uDig 1.0RC1 I found some German bits of language and got told by
Jody that it was probably Richard who began this translation.

Richard obviously just started learning German. (My respect for choosing to
study such a difficult language as German...) Anyway, I would suggest that some
native language people like me continue this translation effort. Richard could
learn from that, too, I'm sure. :-)

As a start I have translated all
- "messages.properties" and
- "plugin.properties" as well as
- the help TOC files (but not the help itself)
from the packages (except the catalog import filter packages) into German.

It's a rough translation by now, but I expect there will be some changes in the
keys and contents of these files, so the translations should get tweaked once
the English basis I'm working on is quite stable. Is this the case by now? (I
guess: not yet, since translation to French just started. Am I wrong?)

Within the attached zip file there is a "translation problems.txt" that
describes some general remarks and, most important, translation issues I
encountered. Maybe someone could look them through and give some feedback
- where you are at localizing
- if it makes sense continuing the translation this way and
- how to solve the issues I encountered. Maybe some other native German could
help with that?

I could offer to translate the help as well, if that helps. It just takes some
time. The sooner I start the better. Maybe I could even ask my father to
proof-read it. He is professional translator. ;-)

If you find my attached work acceptable, please integrate it into the SVN
repository.

Thanks and good luck for your further work. Any comments are welcome.

Matthias Basler
c9bama@xxxxxxxxxxx

This mail was sent through http://webmail.uni-jena.de