Re: [udig-devel] Image Support

Edwards, Wendy A ERDC-CERL-IL Contractor wrote:

UDig has a Filesystem import wizard that appears to support ESRI shapefiles. Will there be any support for other kinds of files, e.g. JPG, GIF, or PNG? We’re also interested in working with CAD files so that the user could place a building footprint on a site. Any suggestions for this?

JPG, GIF, PNG are already supported by virtue of the "world plus image" file format. Basically your image needs to have a small text file describing its position so it can be accurately displayed on the map. The uDig platform provides a plug in system so you can supply your own CAD format, and a renderer capable of displaying it. Most CAD formats include style information in line - but I digress.

Also, will there be a general programmer’s guide?

These documentations are available in beta-form - they are scheduled for delivery with the release of uDig 1.0 at the end of the month:
1) http://docs.codehaus.org/display/UDIG/Programmer%27s+Guide
2) http://docs.codehaus.org/display/UDIG/Project

The first being for those extending UDIG with their own content (such as CAD file formats).
The second being for those working on the core udig project.

UDIG is built on the Eclipse Rich Client Platform - if our documentation is insufficient for you needs books are also available:
- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/UDIG/Reading+List

Jody

Back to the top