Re: [udig-devel] Extention point processing

Thanks for quick feedback :-) I am trying to feed the conversation back onto the list ...

EEK1: This, by definition, passes control off to an external plugin, and does not catch exceptions. One bad plugin could break everything ..

We can place a try catch in the code.

EEK2: Allowing an extention to skip extention point processing forces contributors to interact. One plugin can mask out others, the order of extention points is not fixed, so we esentially have random behavior.

This is an actual mistake - I cannot propose a fix.

Here are the Extender Rules:

I am not sure if I can publish these - I included them in http://udig.refractions.net/docs/uDig-UIandFrameworkRecommendations.pdf. But they are not on any eclipse site, they are from the "Contributing to Eclipse" book, that said these rules are referred to a lot.

I am going to bite the bullet and place these on our wiki .. hope I don't get in trouble.

Back to the top