Re: [udig-devel] Java 1.5

At 02:51 PM 12/2/2004, Jody Garnett wrote:
David Zwiers wrote:

Hello all,
It appears that we should once again talk about the possibility of
transitioning to Java 1.5.
Advantage:
   - Clarity

Disadvantages
   - Mac Support is limited (but so is uDig's current Mac support)

Currently much of Java1.5 is already used, but only as part of the
javadoc comments.

Any thoughts?

Mac support for java 5 is expected in the spring.

Generics, Enums and VarArgs are the main advantages for clarity - these are strong advantages given that we are defining API.

+1 for me, although I am frustrated with mac development.

Chris/James did you have any thoughts on this? I know you are in touch with a few other open-source groups.

Jody

Remember to make a distinction between Java 5 runtime and Java 5 compile time. iirc many enchantments, inc generics will run under Java 1.4 but will not compile under it.

Given that the pool of Mac 'developers' is likely to be small (as opposed to users) you may be able to use a subset of Java 5 language enhancements (but not API enchancements) without impacting portablity.

Not that I've tested the above theory!

James

Back to the top