[udig-devel] Re: Package structure (and branding)

At 12:33 PM 6/3/2004, Jody Garnett wrote:
Hi James (and all):

We have our requirements document together (a draft will be sent out shortly) and we are starting an outline of our project.

Cool, I look forward to seeing it.

The very first question we came up with was packaging (and the associated branding that represents).
What I would like to set up is:
org.geotools.udig
But I need to clear this with James first.

I need to think about that a bit... When GeoTools2 was first setup the following statement was made:
"
It is not the intention of the GeoTools 2 project to develop finished products or applications, but it is the intention to interact and support fully other initiatives and projects which would like to use the GeoTools 2 toolkit to create such resources.
"

This statement was important as it helps people understand the distinction between geotools as a toolkit for developers and end user products/projects like geoserver, udig.

I'm not totally against org.geotools.whatever as long as the 'whatever' maintains its own identity strongly enough. And I suspect uDIG will!

I'll sleep on this and let you know what I end up thinking.

From there I would like to transition to org.geotools.jump when we have a beta, with a go ahead from Martin. While we did look at net.refractions.udig I think it will be more important to have community involvement.

I agree with that... would net.udig be an option?

James

Back to the top