[tycho-user] Exporting a Target Definition file

Hello,

The story so far. Since the mirror options in the p2 ant tasks either download too much (the whole site with all versions of all IUs, >> 1Gb for Indigo) or too little, I used a script to download features.

Basically the script installs Eclipse, runs the ant task to install the feature(s) I want and then deletes all the files which came from the install ZIP. Which leaves me with a set of files in features/plugins which work with the least amount of effort.

Then I was told that Eclipse has a Target Definition editor which could do the same for me.

I was able to create a Target Definition file (took me only 3 days because of various bugs in the editor; that's about the same amount of work my first approach took, so I'm not sure how much there is to be gained here... in fact with my own tool set, I know what every part does and how to fix it.)

When I click the "Export" button, Eclipse considers my puny request for half an hour and then creates a directory with features and plugins. This p2 repo is broken - Tycho won't find the SWT fragments in it, for example - but it's a start. Using the org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher, I can convert this into something that Tycho will like.

But I'd like something that I can pass on to a fellow developer without many explanations: I want to 100% automate the process.

Is there an ant task or a Tycho plugin to export a *.target file into a p2 repository?

Is there a better way to do this?

Regards,

http://www.pdark.de/                   http://blog.pdark.de/

Back to the top